I would move ssh to a very high port number of your choice.  Most ssh
port scanners do not bother checking anything other than port 22, as
it is too time consuming.  I have not had any weird hits on my ssh
port in years.  It was hammered daily, even with attempted logins and
such, with it running on port 22.  Now, pretty much nothing.  Why not
use something like 65350 or some random high port like that?

And yes, you probably shouldn't be asking these questions if you have
an important linux computer on the internet.  Because if it is
important, you should know what you are doing before you put it on the
internet.

If on the other hand, you're just getting to know linux, and the
computer is not all that important, then you should be asking these
questions.

On 7/5/06, Alexander Skwar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Ryan Tandy wrote:

> you're running a firewall of some kind (and you'd be crazy not to for
> any publically accessible box),

Actually, I'd disagree. If only the necessary publicly accessible services
are running on a box, what good should a "firewal" (I suppose you mean
packet filter, like iptables) do? The only useful measure I can think about,
is to do rate limiting. But what else?

Alexander Skwar
--
The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and
robbers there will be.