On 7/5/06, Alexander Skwar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Lord Sauron wrote:
> Sorry to be a bit elementary, but if you're not colocating your box,
> and you don't often use SSH, you might want to consider disabling
> remote administrative things.

Of course - disable everything, that you don't need. ESPECIALLY, if it
is reachable over the network.

> All your Windoze "friend" will try to do is exploit MySQL to pop a DOS
> shell into your system.

How do you know?

I read a hacker article.  It was terribly interesting, but nothing I'd
actually want to do.  I don't think hacking is a worthwhile use of my
time, however, since I do aspire to host my own server and website, I
decided it would be good to bone up on attack methods a little bit.

> If you can't disable SSH for some reason, then limit MySQL access to
> localhost only.

I'd even suggest to make MySQL "skip-networking". If that's set
in my.cnf, MySQL won't be available via TCP over a network and
can only be reached over a Unix socket. Maybe that's what you
meant, but I just fealt like adding that :)

I'm no pro, but that works.  I don't have a lot of experience, so I
oftentimes just end up speculating on a bunch of educated guesses.

> If you can, what I'd do is try and get the guy's MAC Address or
> something and then totally block that off.

How should *THAT* help? In 99.9999999999999999999999999999999% of
the times, the attacker won't be on the same subnet, and thus the
MAC isn't available.

Couldn't hurt.  You never know what you'll find when you tear apart
some networking packets.  I was so alarmed at what I found that I quit
doing it altogether.  Ignorance is bliss, I decided.  No, I won't say
what I found for reasons of protecting the egos of innocent people.

You can try to block me, my MAC will be either 00:12:17:D4:21:D4
or 00:12:17:D4:21:D2. Just tell me, where you blocked me using
my MAC and I'll see if I can still access.

I'll try it someday when I can figure out enough about linux
networking to do something like that.