Now that I have xorg-7.0-r1 installed, I am planning to upgrade my
logitech cordless mouseman optical to one of the new toys, either the
MX1000 or the G7.  I have read the helpful gentoo-wiki entry.

I am looking for recommendations/experiences.  Would I perceive any
difference between them?  In particular

1.  This is for a laptop (dell 5150) so there will also be the
    synaptics two button touchpad on the keyboard.  I assume either of
    the two new mice would work and would not disable the touchpad (I
    know about "alwayscore").  Correct?

2.  I do not play high speed games, but would consider it a mild plus
    if such games were better supported since my children (low 20s) do
    play these games and very occasionally use my system.

thanks in advance,
allan