Alexander Skwar wrote:
> Walter Dnes wrote:
>

>>   I think there's a mis-understanding here.  Gerhard and I are
>> complaining about config files being possibly *OVERWRITTEN* with default
>> settings.  If there's no config file, sure write the default config
>> file.  But if someone has customized a config file, assume that they
>> know what they're doing, and leave settings alone.
>>

> And that's what's currently happening - the settings are left
> alone, *UNLESS* you make etc-update overwrite your original
> file. But generally, the files are *NOT* touched.
>
> Alexander Skwar

Correct.  I can remember when it used to try to overwrite fstab every
time, well, it seemed like it anyway.  It doesn't do that anymore
though.  It puts the new file there but the one we, the person in the
chair, changed does not get touched until you run etc-update and tell it
to change it.  Careful with that -5 option.

Sounds like some are not using etc-update correctly.

Dale
:-)  :-)