I have some serious issues trying to maintain three gentoo systems.  I
fear it's time to ask for advice.

I have avoided "emerge --depclean" since I installed all three of my
systems last november.  I do update two of the machines frequently.
Many issues and compilation failures are popping up, and ordinarily I
muddle through a few attempts at "emerge -uDv world" until the
problems go away.  I have not faithfully either done "revdep-rebuild".
Now I have been trying again to follow up on maintainance.  It's not
working.

I have avoided "emerge --depclean" in spite of the recommendations of
several list members both to me and as a matter of course in day to
day messages.  However, I am reluctant because of none other than the
initial messages when trying to do so:

*** WARNING ***  --depclean is known to be broken. It is highly recommended
*** WARNING ***  that `emerge --update --newuse --deep world` be ran before
*** WARNING ***  commencing. However, using --depclean may still break link
*** WARNING ***  level consistency within your system. `revdep-rebuild`
*** WARNING ***  from app-portage/gentoolkit can help to detect breakage.
*** WARNING ***
  etc.

Here are the stats at the end of "remerge --depglean" I just tried today:

| Packages installed:   1477
| Packages in world:    320
| Packages in system:   65
| Unique package names: 906
| Required packages:    933
| Number to remove:     569

When running revdep-rebuild, when I try to do every once in a while,
invariably, the first package that is attempted to recompile fails,
and the process then fails.

I have installed a large number of packages, to do a large number of
things.  There are many programs I could do without.  The problem with
this approach is the enormous amount of time involved in simple
updates.  My laptop, with only a 50GB HDD, requires to download 700GB
to emerge -uDv world.  I am on a dialup at home, at school where I
work, the network is inconsistent, and even with several visits to a
wireless cafe, I am unable to complete this process.

It's time to thin down.  I have installed kde and gnome, and a bunch
of other display/window managers.  I now use enlightenment 17
exclusively, so I could do away with a lot of cruft.  But emerge
--depclean is removing quite a few programs that are useful to me.

I am still being bitten by libexpat.so.0 quite frequently.  One of two
of the programs involved are serious problems, since the offenders are
other libraries or dependencies.  Usually I can just re-emerge the
affected package, and the problem is temporarily solved.  Some
programs that I have done that for, are now, after a couple of months,
doing it again.

Should I go ahead and "emerge --depclean"?  How about revdep-rebuild?
I am spending my entire summer trying to deal with these systems.  I
loathe to do this process package by package.

Thanks for any ideas.

By the way, one of my systems broke down, so I'll be installing from
scratch.  One will be much more conservative about installing
packages---at least gnome, kde, and other window managers.

Alan Davis
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

--
Alan Davis, Kagman High School, Saipan  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     1-670-256-2043

I consider that the golden rule requires that if I like a program I
must share it with other people who like it.
                                         --------Richard Stallman