Richard Fish <bigfish <at> asmallpond.org> writes:

> On 7/18/06, James <wireless <at> tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> > Well I did not get a XP-pro installation disk with this portable.
> > The portable has a second partition with XP on it, used for recovery.

> [Way OT] I know some manufacturers do this, and it is one of the
> dumbest things I've ever heard of.  Why do consumers accept this?  You
> save $0.05c on the cost of a CD, at the risk of having *no* recovery
> option at all if the HD fails.  It's just stupid.

Yes HP is one of them. Purchased the system through Office Depot.
Will not make this mistake again.

> If these are new systems, I would give HP support a call and demand
> they send you the WinXP OEM installation CD.

After blowing away the NTFS (XP) stuff via reformatting. I'm going to
see if I can install/restore XP from the backup partition to
the newly reduced 30Meg partition.

If HP forces me to choose between gentoo and XP, by_by XP.

> > XP from the  the XP installation/recovery partition to a smaller
> > partition. say 30 Gig.Sound like a viable option?

> My XP system under VMWare is on a 10Gb virtual disk, although I use
> NTFS compression there.  It depends on what you want to use it for,
> but my guess is that 30Gb should be more than enough for basic XP
> tasks.

Yes I know the 10.6 gig of XP will fit, what I was looking for
is an opinion on blowing away the orginal XP on the 85 gig partition,
reformatting with several new partitions for Gentoo and XP and using
the XP restore from the 9 gig partition as the end of the drive, where
the HP-XP restore software is located. The machine runs find on
experimental amd64 liveCD, so I know it will be fine with Gentoo.
It's always nice to keep winbloze around, but, I'm getting real
tire of wasting my time.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach?

If nobody posts a better idea by tomorrow morning, it's by by XP.....

> >  Is there any free download software (even if it's a binary) to
> > defrag this ntfs partition, for an amd64 ? Googling for
> > {O&ODefrag +amd64 } does not produce anything useful.
>
> Under windows, I use O&ODefrag from http://www.oo-software.com.  It
> isn't free, but there is a 30-day trial available.  It is also windows
> only (they had a Linux beta, but not for NTFS, and it sucked big-time.
>  Corrupted filesystems, no response from their support line, etc etc.
> Seems to have been withdrawn).

Yes but that's not amd64 nor a free download. If I have to purchase
something, It'll be a $10 bootleg XP disk, since this system already
has a XP-pro license. NO f___ing wonder everybody hates microsoft.....
Bill Gates is a real putz. I guess Bruce Perens (busybox et. al.)
was not able to help HP develop any common sense.

Our last 3 portables were all clevo, and we never had a problem like
this, all are set up dual boot. No wonder American companies are going
down the tubes.....

James