PREFACE: I don't know what I'm talking about, but....

Seriously, I can't even tread water with these guys, but I installed
GNU/Linux on a gateway laptop with a recover partition.  I believe I
did a defrag, but it's been a long time, but for sure, I was left with
the impression at one point that there were some files in the NTFS,
nearer to the end of the partition than I'd have liked.

I tried qtparted/gparted from several different live cds, knoppix and
ubuntu, I believe.  I think my first install was Ubuntu, but I had to
use knoppix to repartition.  This has been an issue a couple of times.
Various *parteds gave different results.  I was able to shrink the
NTFS partition far more than I thought would be possible, and I bit
the bullet and just did it, thinking it would fail, but who cares, I'm
only keeping NTFS/XP because the school district gave me the machine,
and they might require me to run a gradebook.

Again, I've shrunk the NTFS a couple more times, since I don't use it
much, and no problems in any of the FEW times I've run Windoze.

If you are thinking of hosing your partitions, I'd suggest trying
other, more up to date, maybe, LiveCDs, and one of them might work.
Just don't quote me on this.

Alan Davis

On 7/19/06, Donnie Berkholz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Cliff Wells wrote:
> I'd be curious who this is well-know to.  The only XFS filesystem I've
> ever lost (having used XFS exclusively since SGI started offering it on
> RH 7.?) was due to bad RAM.  There *have* been a couple of issues that
> I'm aware of, but I'd hardly call it "sucking".

I'm too lazy to search all over the net for xfs "power outage" or "power
loss", here's a couple of examples:

http://lwn.net/Articles/181355/
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=4#doc_chap4

Thanks,
Donnie

--
Alan Davis, Kagman High School, Saipan  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     1-670-256-2043

I consider that the golden rule requires that if I like a program I
must share it with other people who like it.
                                         --------Richard Stallman