You might have some luck using this:

*  sys-apps/855resolution [ Masked ]
      Latest version available: 0.4
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 6 kB
      Homepage:    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/apoirier
chipsets.
      License:     public-domain as-is

I think there is also a 915 resolution at
www.geocities.com/stomljen/download.html

Unfortunately they didnt help me as I have a laptop with a built in LCD
of 768 pixels (v), and try as I might I cant overide it even when I am
using it on an external monitor/projector with a much higher, but still
valid resolution for the chipset :(  Windows seems to be able to do
it ... but not modular X.  (I did it using the old xfree on a different
laptop - so I think it might be an modular xorg driver limitation)

BillK