On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 10:18:48 +0100
Uwe Thiem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 22 July 2006 03:45, Nick Rout wrote:
>
> > When using "composite in" the sound should be coming in the "line in"
> >
> > However your driver may need to be switched to the right device, use
> > ivtvctl
> >
> > ivtvctl -A   - lists the audio inputs
> > ivtvctl -Q   - tells which one it is switched to now
> > ivtvctl -qn   - switches to input n
>
> Hm...
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ ivtvctl -A
> ioctl: VIDIOC_ENUMAUDIO
>         Input   : 0
>         Name    : Tuner 1
>
>         Input   : 1
>         Name    : Line In 1
>
>         Input   : 2
>         Name    : Line In 2
>
> There is only one Line IN socket. Anyway, I tried both with "iivtvctl -qn".
> Still no sound when doing "mplayer /dev/video0", and "mplayer tv://" gives me
> that damn ioctl error (see my other mail).
>
> Uwe

well I just learned something new:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/var/log$ ivtvctl -Y
ioctl: VIDIOC_QUERYCTRL
Brightness = 383
Contrast = 63
Saturation = 63
Hue = 0
Volume = 58880
Mute = 0

So there are volume and mute controls that are configurable from ivtvctl, like
this:

ivtvctl -y mute=1   (will mute the output - set -0 to unmute)
ivtvctl -y volume=integer.

The volume allegedly has a range of 0-65535

Check them out, the vol may be zeroed, or the mute set.