060819 David Corbin wrote:
> I emerged a bunch of stuff this morning, and got this:
> "Gentoo is moving toward common config file for all network interfaces.
> I looked at /etc/conf.d/net.example & it's woefully unclear
> how I port my /etc/init.d/net.ppp0 to the new file/format.

Yes, the dox are not as detailed as they sb.
To repeat my explanation to another troubled user a few weeks ago :

I needed  3  things to get it working :
(1) in  /etc/init.d , delete the old  net.ppp0  (or rename it neutrally)
& do 'ln -s net.lo net.ppp0' ;
(2) do 'rc-update del net.eth0 default' 'rc-update add net.ppp0 default'
(this is the bit which isn't adequately documented: anyone would think
that both are simply symlinks to  net.lo  so what's the difference ?
but in fact, it affects how Baselayout configures the connection);
(3) create a new  /etc/conf.d/net  following  net.example : mine is

  config_eth0=( "192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255" )
  # We have to instruct ppp0 to actually use ppp
  config_ppp0=( "ppp" )
  # Each PPP interface requires an interface to use as a "Link"
  link_ppp0="eth0" # PPPoE requires an ethernet interface
  # Specify what pppd plugins you want to use:
  plugins_ppp0=( "pppoe" )
  # PPP requires at least a username.
  # It will use the password specified in /etc/ppp/*-secrets
  username_ppp0='[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
  pppd_ppp0=( "updetach" "defaultroute" )

I found the  2 items  in the last line were required by testing items.
You may need a bit of trial+error to get it right for your system+ISP.

If you really can't get it to work, you can go on using Rp-pppoe:
just omit/reverse steps (1-2) & restore your old  /etc/conf.d/net ;
there's a section in  net.example  confirming this.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : [EMAIL PROTECTED]