I'll throw two chickens in one pot.

I have recently installed ubuntu on another partition in the mainly
gentoo gateway laptop I've been running for over a year with great
success.  I have never had any wireless problems, using the ipw2200
centrino.  I've not changed kernels for a long while, still running
2.5.15 something.  Never a hiccough.

Then, after installing ubuntu, accessing a few access points, suddenly
the module for ipw2200 won't install consistently, and I get an error,
the most recent error was "-1" but there was another number earlier.

Well, at school today, confounding all this, the wireless access
points have now been set up with WPA keys.  Trying WEP keys with
Ubuntu was unsuccessful, after failling w/ gentoo altogether.  Then
when trying to run "/etc/init.d/net.eth0 start" again, as I've been
doing, there is no happiness, and I tracked down this failure to load
the module.  After a couple of tried, the module did, I think load,
but because of the WPA setup, I cannot figure out how to access the
net.  Back to ubuntu, back to gentoo---again module problems.  These
are firmware problems, failture to load firmware, not the ipw2200
module, sorry.

Ubuntu too, I cannot figure out how to use the WPA key.

Now I'm at a wifi access point cafe, and cannot get gentoo to work at
all, even with this unsecured site.  Ubuntu does work.

So my questions are how to get WPA to work, with both, and what the
heck is going on with the firmware?

I suspect that ubuntu loads firmware that is incompatible with gentoo.

Thanks for any help with any of the above.

Alan Davis

--
Alan Davis, Kagman High School, Saipan  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     1-670-256-2043

I consider that the golden rule requires that if I like a program I
must share it with other people who like it.
                                         --------Richard Stallman