Up until now, to remedy this when I want to attempt to use one of these
packages, I simply edit the ebuild, regenerate the digest, and do the
installation.  I feel sure there is an easier way around this - I've
read somewhere of being able to tell the system that I am not worried
about packages that haven't been tested on amd64 (thus the amd64~) -
does anyone know what file I need to edit and in what way to make this
work so I don't have to go through the hassle described above of editing
the ebuild, regenerating the digest and then installing the package?

Sure there is:

/etc/portage/package.keywords

where each line is the full package name that you want to allow
"~amd64" for your system. (in your case)
An example is:

x11-themes/gtk-engines-qt

Save it and then just run:

emerge -vuD world -p

and you'll se portage telling you that is going to bring in the latest
"keyworded" version of such package.

HTH

- AR
--
If you stare long enough into an abyss, the abyss will stare back into you...