Bo:

The guide that I followed is:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml

Under section 3 Upgrading from GCC-3.3 to 3.4 or greater

The instructions specify to use Revdep-rebuild -- and I quote

If you upgrade from gcc 3.3 to 3.4, you have two possibilities on how to
upgrade your system. The first method is faster and requires use of the
revdep-rebuild tool from package gentoolkit while the second one rebuilds the
entire system from scratch so it will make use of new GCC features. It's up to
you to decide which of these two ways you will choose. In most cases, the first
method is sufficient.

This particular rebuild was going from 3.3 to 4.0 so revdep-rebuild was
indicated -

I did that rebuild some time back and don't remember what was the problem other
than that I want to avoid it again.

TIM

Timothy A. Holmes
IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher

Medina Christian Academy
A Higher Standard...

Jeremiah 33:3
Jeremiah 29:11