I can't figure out how to fix this one - NOT for lack of trying,
however.

I'm slowly trying to become more terminal-friendly and less
GUI-dependent.  I also keep hearing how Emacs is so cool and powerful
and useful and blah.  So I decided to try and learn it and see for
myself.

Installed it on my Kubuntu desktop and it worked fine.  On my Gentoo
laptop... a whole other story.

I have app-editors/emacs v21.4-r4 installed.  I don't have xemacs or
xemacs-base installed.  This is probably applicable, so that's why I'm
including it.

When I use emacs I see the menus and all things X11, however, the editor
shows nothing but those annoying blocks that signify some kind of
problem with the font.  I tried changing the fontset and stuff, but
only succeeded in crashing X twice and then making the boxes smaller or
larger and then crashing X.

I looked though Portage and by a total miracle found media-fonts/ (was
using Kuroo, which organizes things like media/fonts, so I didn't look
in media/ for fonts, so I almost missed it).  I installed a few fonts
that I thought might rectify the situation, however, they didn't.

What should I do to fix Emacs?  I hear it's a very powerful and useful
editor, and I would like to learn to use it (vi and/or its many
variants is next on my list, so no emacs vs. vi wars please) so any
assistance would be very helpful.

Thanks for your time!

--
http://lordsauronthegreat.googlepages.com/