On Saturday 16 September 2006 22:50, Friedrich Göpel wrote:
> On 14:02 Sat 16 Sep     , Mick wrote:
> > On 13/09/06, Hemmann, Volker Armin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> > What happens with the latest BIOS updates that some idiotic
> > manufacturers only provide as WinXP executables?
>
> I had that problem with my burner because for some reason the dos tools
> flat out refused to work, so I slapped the windows exe on a Windows PE
> (=Preinstallation Enviroment) Iso burned it and booted from that.
> That's basically a Windows LiveCD, except it takes half an hour to boot
> and there's no applications.
>
> It is a sucky solution, but not as much as having to actually install
> windows/swap out the hardware.

Thank you.  I've used Bart's PE LiveCD, but it won't run to complete booting.
It hangs at the "detecting hardware . . ." stage.  Same with a WinXP Pro
installation CD that I tried to use a year or so ago.  Not sure if the
hardware is faulty or this machine will only accept a manufacturer's image
CD.

As it happens I've got all the important BIOS flash versions for this laptop,
but I noticed that more recent computers don't offer the DOS flashing images
anymore.
--
Regards,
Mick