...and that has what to do with "emerge -Davu"?

--newuse shortcut is -N

       --newuse (-N short option)
              Tells emerge to include installed packages where USE flags
have
              changed since installation.

-D is deep.
-a is ask.
-v is verbose.
-u is

       --update (-u short option)
              Updates packages to the best version available, which may not
              always be the highest version number due to masking for
testing
              and development. This will also update direct dependencies
which
              may not what you want. In general use this option only in
combi-
              nation with the world or system target.