On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 13:05:12 -0500, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> And ... if the startup scripts change or a major version bump occurs, a
> clean shutdown should happen BEFORE the new package is installed.   The
> portage system really should shutdown any services before an upgrade
> occurs.

So you're updating SSH over a remote link, portage shuts down sshd then
the new version fails to compile, leaving the old version there but not
running and no way to fix it from a hundred miles away.

No thanks! I can live with portage warning me of what needs to be done,
but I'd rather it didn't make unilateral decisions on my behalf.

--
Neil Bothwick

I've got a mind like a... a... what's that thing called?