Thanks for the advice folks.
As it turned out I had enough of the lib left to keep some of the
system running and I managed to copy over sufficient to get a working
connection going then after much more thrashing of the head on desk it
turned out that my backup was sufficient to get portage working pretty
well phew
I am now working on the --emptytree to restore everything properly.

stu

ps. tip of the day when spring cleaning your system watch out for
those little typos that can ruin your summer :)
pps. Just for fun it went something like this,
"rm -rf /usr/lib/libcrco.so /usr/lib/ /usr/lib/bochs /usr/lib/libcroco.co.0"

On 19/10/06, Nico Schümann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
2006/10/19, Mark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> If not then you will need to acquire a binary gcc/etc to work around
> it. Then rebuild.
>
> emerge -e world

I think, after having set up the tool chain, you'd do a
emerge -e system and then
emerge -e world,
because the system packages aren't considered by the world file, are they?

Anyway, good luck.

"There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand
binary, those who don't"

--Unknown