On  1 Dec, Mick wrote:
> On Friday 01 December 2006 07:31, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
>> Hi, I desparately need help!
>>
>> I have upgraded from udev-087-r1 to udev-103 (and from baselayout-1.12.5
>> to 1.12.6)
>>
>> At rebooting (I have a speedtouch usb ADSL device) I get
>> speedtch_find_firmware: no stage 1 firmware found
>> (This is obviously a message from the speedtouch kernel
>> module)
>>
>> Yes, speedtouch has to upload firmware to the device before
>> I can use it. This has worked just fine before my upgrade to
>> the new udev.
>> And I've checked that the firmware is (still) in /lib/firmware.
>> I've even reinstalled net-dialup/speedtouch-usb and net-dialup/ppp
>> but nothing helps.
>> I couldn't find anything in the Changelogs.
>> I haven't changed my kernel (still 2.6.17-r8)
>
> I'm afraid I can't help with this problem, but it seems to me that udev is
> not
> as effective as coldplug was in bringing up devices at boot time.  Not sure
> if this is something to do with launch timing of udev and the device
> driver(s) during boot, but my USB devices won't be picked up at boot since I
> updated to udev-103.  No problem with detection of USB devices *after* the
> boot sequence has been completed.  I am still looking for a solution to fix
> this . . .

On a Gentoo Forum I've just found this (which works for me)
On a 2.6.18-gentoo-r3 linux, simply unmerge coldplug, hotplug, hotplug-base and
udev (yes, udev!).
Then remove the /etc/hotplug, /etc/hotplug.d and /etc/udev directories.

This being done, emerge udev again. This way you'll get hotplug-base emerged
too.

Of course, check that you have /lib/firmware/speedtch-1.bin and
/lib/firmware/speedtch-2.bin.
Udev attempts first /lib/firmware/speedtch-N.bin.V.RR where V.RR is the
hardware version and
release of the speedtouch modem. Mine is 4.00, so I have
/lib/firmware/speedtch-1.bin.4.00 and
/lib/firmware/speedtch-2.bin.4.00. But this is not mandatory.

And please use rc-update to remove any boot- and default-time startup of the
coldplug and hotplug scripts
(you may even remove /etc/init.d/coldplug and /etc/init.d/hotplug just in case:
they are not removed by emerge --unmerge).

--
Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University