On Tue, 2 Jan 2007, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> On Tuesday 02 January 2007 08:50, Daniel Barkalow wrote:
> > I also think that emerge should keep track of the config files
> > installed by packages, so that etc-update knows if you've got local
> > modifications, and give you a big warning when you might lose a
> > change you made.
>
> Huh? Portage already does this. Standard config dirs are
> CONFIG_PROTECTed which is where etc-update comes in. It will merge
> trivial changes (whitespace, etc) and let *you* chose what to do for
> everything else. You get to keep the original file, use the update, or
> use a customized merge of the two.

The issue is that etc-update doesn't have the version of the config file
as installed by the version of the package that's being replaced, so it
can't tell the difference between non-trivial changes to the config file
as shipped by gentoo between the old version and the new version and
non-trivial local modifications that I've made myself to a config file
which has not been changed between package versions. I've definitely had
etc-update ask for confirmation on files I'm sure I didn't change
(including, in some cases, executables that get installed in protected
directories).

> There is no need to give you a big warning if you might lose a change -
> the very act of running etc-update at all IS that warning. It's
> understood that if the new file shows up, then you DO have local
> modifications

It's understood that there is a difference between what I'm using now and
what new package comes with. But there's no information on whether that
difference came from local modifications.

        -Daniel
*This .sig left intentionally blank*