Mick wrote:
I just checked and it seems that the OEM firmware on the netgear drops all ssh attempts to connect. :(

$ ssh 192.168.0.1 ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.1 port 22: Connection refused

Same story when I use my internet IP address (it times out). It seems that I will have to try openwrt.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

PS. I noticed that the -D option can be specified as: "ssh -D [bind_address:]port". Which bind_address should be used in the above example? I am not sure I understand how this is meant to be used.

My method works for any normal sshd server you can connect to that allows forwarding. OpenWRT should work for you as the socks proxy is created on the initiating user side, your local ssh client, that's why you set your browser to 127.0.0.1:port and then it forwards packets internal to the ssh tunnel without invoking anything on the server side. If you don't set an IP with -D then it uses localhost which is what you'd want in this case.

kashani