John Blinka wrote:
sean wrote:
John Blinka wrote:

I think this is backwards. The cross compiler should be on the Opteron box, since distcc is asking
the Opteron box to produce 32 bit code for the P4 box.

Check this out. Look at the line highlighted in green.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/cross-compiling-distcc.xml
Yep, that's exactly the document I used to get cross-compiling working with distcc
on my machines.  See the paragraph near the top under the heading "Emerge
the needed utilities". The first sentence of this paragraph refers to machines "that will be involved in the compiling process". One might argue that both your P4 and Opteron machines are "involved" since the P4 calls the compiler and the Opteron does the compiling. But the sentence really refers to machines that will actually *do* the compiling, i.e., your Opteron. So you should do 2 things on the Opteron box: "emerge crossdev" and "crossdev -t arg" where I'm guessing "arg" is i686-pc-linux-gnu for your P4 box. The green highlighted stuff are things you do on the P4 box. The explanation for doing the green highlighted stuff is found at the end of the page under the heading
"Why this works".

John Blinka

Thanks John,

Perhaps it is just me, but maybe the docs on this topic could use just a bit more sharpening to clear things.

                        Sean