On Thursday 18 January 2007 18:32, Jan Stępień wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been using Xgl for quite a long time without any serious problems.
> Recently I've tried to launch America's Army (emerged one, version
> 2.5.0) on my box, but...
>
> ~ armyops
> Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":1.0".
> Cheat protection disabled
> open /dev/[sound/]mixer: No such file or directory
> WARNING: ALC_EXT_capture is subject to change!
> Either GL_EXT_bgra or glDrawRangeElements not supported- bailing out.
> History:
> Exiting due to error
>
> Being quite disappointed I verified the first line of the output above
> with glxinfo. And so...
>
> ~ glxinfo
> name of display: :1.0
> Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":1.0".
> display: :1  screen: 0
> direct rendering: No
> <snip>
>
> It sounds rather unbelievably. I've got running Xgl with Beryl's
> dazzling animations and I'm informed that despite having over 4000 FPS
> on glxgears I have not got direct rendering. What the...?

glxgears is not a benchmark.
it might be unbelievable, but it is true. If you use Xgl, no direct rendering
there.

> Few days later I've accidentally launched Xorg (using startx script)
> instead of my Xgl. When I entered my old, two-dimension desktop I
> thought that trying America's Army over here, without Xgl, could tell me
> something more (i.e. that something's wrong with my configuration or
> whatever else). So I typed armyops in the terminal... And surprisingly
> enough the game has started. Furthermore, the framerate was quite
> satisfactory.

that is normal too.

> After this quite long introduction I'll finally get to the point. I have
> got two questions.
>
> 1. Is it possible to enable somehow direct rendering on Xgl, therefore
> allowing OpenGL apps to work as ought to.

nope. It isn't.
Xgl and direct rendering are exclusive. One or the other.

> 2. If the answer to the first questions is "NO", then is there a method
> of choosing which Xserver to use? Can I choose whether I'd like to
> launch Xorg or Xgl? Or maybe I can even enable such choice in GDM login
> screen?

Yes.

Or you can start a second X with xinit. So you would have one desktop (on F7)
with Xgl and one (F8) with 'normal' X.

Any reason, you are using Xgl? No Aiglx with your card?