[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

(I had some trouble posting this message the first time, so I
apologize if it appears twice)

Hi, last fall I spent some of my summer earnings on a ThinkPad X41
tablet, and have been loving it ever since I installed Gentoo on it.
There is one thing I have not yet been able to make work, though, and
that is wifi. This is probably due to a combination of my own lack of
wifi-related experience and the fact that my school (the only
practical place I have to use wifi) seems to use a horrendously
complicated setup >.<. I have heard that others with this laptop have
managed to make wifi work.

I have been trying different things on and off for a few month now,
but the fact is that I have very little idea of how to configure wifi,
and there seems to be little documentation that I can find which is
relevant to this situation. I've decided that there's little left to
do except bug all of you with my problem =(.

My school has some Windows/Mac setup instructions here (scroll down a bit):
http://rorschach.concordia.ca/neg/remote_access/wireless/
They mention Xsupplicant in relation to Linux, but once again I find
myself way out of my depth. . .

lspci lists my wifi card as:
04:02.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG
Network Connection (rev 05)

I am using the ipw2200 module, and the wifi card shows up under
iwconfig as eth1.

I hope you can help, and please tell me if I should post any other info,
      Henk Boom

Review next section, after your WiFi card be right installed:

nano -w /etc/conf.d/wireless.example

If you follow that instructions as well as the provided by your school, It will be so easy to you.

About Gentoo Networking please look at here for x86 processor:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=3
and
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=4

Sigfrido