On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:59:21 +0100
Jakob Buchgraber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> b.n. wrote:
> > Jakob Buchgraber ha scritto:
> >
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> I just read about the required ALSA_CARDS variable when using
> >> in-kernel drivers in the Gentoo Newsletter. Since I am using
> >> in-kernel ALSA drivers I would like to know what changed and why
> >> this is required? Is this explained somewhere? I am using
> >> vanilla-sources (not gentoo-sources). So do I need to set
> >> ALSA_CARDS when using vanilla-sources too?
> >>

> > The GWN seems clear:
> > "for users using the in-kernel drivers, they
> > should now properly set that variable"
> >
> > I think that the other alsa packages must be aware of it. Anyway I
> > think setting it shouldn't harm.
> >
> > m.
> >

> Thank you for your reply!
>
> It's clear to me that setting the variable doesn't harm however I'd
> like to know why exactly. Does anybody have in-detail informations?
>
> Cheers,
> Jay
I use the kernel drivers exclusively, and never set ALSA_CARDS or
anything else for that matter.  Emerge alsa-utils and turn up the
volume and it always works for me.  Maybe there's a different reason
for ALSA_CARDS than I understand.  I know the x11 "VIDEO_CARDS" setting
helps not only X, but other programs too, decide which hardware to
support.  The same may be true of ALSA_CARDS.  I would think though,
that this would be most important for people using the ALSA-supplied
drivers, as in-kernel drivers are selected at kernel configuration
time and alsa-provided drivers must use another way to specify which
sound hardware to support.