Mick said the following:
> Thank you all for your help,
>
> It seems that there is something wrong with the fonts(?)  I have managed to
> launch weatherforecast which works fine, but calendar and volume do not.  I
> tried testing them and this is what I get:

<snip>
>     raise ADESKLETSError(4,message)
> adesklets.error_handler.ADESKLETSError: adesklets command error -
> font 'VeraBd/8' could not be loaded
>
> Of course volume does not show up at all.  How do I fix this?

My guess is that it can't find the particular font that the volume
desklet wants.  I don't use that particular desklet, but chances are
pretty good that in the config.txt for it there will be a font setting.

You might want to try changing that to a font that you know you have, or
else emerging the font package that has that font.

*investigates*
Yep, the default config.txt for the volume applet specifies the VeraBd
font, with size 8.

Also, when I used the commands

$ slocate VeraBd  (to see if I had that font installed)
and
$ equery -b VeraBd (to see what package it came with)

(Those two commands are available via sys-apps/slocate and
app-portage/gentoolkit in portage).  I found that the VeraBd font comes
with the media-fonts/ttf-bitstream-vera package.

Good luck :)
-nkm