Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
On Sonntag, 15. April 2007, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
The mailing list is still active,
but the lack of a current release seems to indicate that the Gentoo
project is no longer truly active.

Thanks in advance,

Tom Veldhouse

a) gentoo is not about releases.
I understand that. BUT ... it was announced long ago that there was a quarterly release plan starting in 2005. It was followed for only one year?
b) the 1.4 release took ages.
Indeed ... and then came the apparently aborted plan to do quarterly releases.
c) the real indicator of activity is the amount of changes in the portage tree. And surprise! There is the usual high amount of updated, removed or new ebuilds.
Yes, not an indicator of quality or progress, just commits.
d) if you want more releases, become a dev and join rel-eng.
I don't necessarily want more releases. I DO want to know what happened to the release schedule.
e) if you look here you'll see that the gentoo-dev ml is as active as always in the last couple of years.
http://marc.info/?l=gentoo-dev&r=1&w=2
Good to hear.

Tom Veldhouse