So, unless I need the upper memory support, it may be better for me to
just not click the flag for 64bit memory support, and move on?

This is on a laptop, and it is not a critical system (i.e. it is not
going to require that I get those last few dredges of CPU time out of
the system).  The main things it will be used for until I build my next
system is dataprocessing, and Pencil and Paper gaming.  I plan to
install a couple graphics related apps to mess with and practice with as
well. :P

I'm not exactly the average user, but I will be using it for average
user level work, so it doesn't HAVE to have 64 bit support. :P  From
what I understand, the processor handles 32 bit emulation just fine.
(It was running Windows XP fine until a runin with the emphamous Gentoo
GTK installer.)

:P  I'm not blaming the software though.  The Walkthrough, and the
readme both warn that it is experimental.  ^^;;  Then there is the fact
that I had just butted a 700MB CD, that loaded a compressed file system
into 512MB of ram, and told it to load a GUI, and a GUI driven install
system. *shrugs*  Live and learn, and kick yourself when you do
something stupid. :P

^_^