On Wednesday 30 May 2007 00:25, Dale wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to switch ISPs over to Bell South.  I can not get it to
> connect up though.  I have tried wvdial and Kppp with no luck.  This is
> what I am getting.
[snip]

> I did a google search and nothing made sense to me.  I did try adding
> lcp-max-configure 30 to /etc/ppp/options though.  Still no go.
>
> Anybody have a clue on how to fix this??

This is not going to help, but for what it's worth I used to have the same
problem with a number of ISP dial-up numbers in the UK.  I could get a
dialling tone but for some reason the ISP modem would not pick up/respond. My
modem would start the handshake but the ISP's would continue ringing.  After
trying out about a dozen different telephone Nos or so, I managed to find one
(virgin.net) which worked without a problem; i.e. the ISP's modem would pick
up and the handshake complete.  I never understood what was the cause of this
problem and would be interested to see what fixes it for you.

Another thing, in the UK some ISP's modems are set to ignore calls which do
not identify their telephone number.  In such cases the dial up connection
will not work if you withhold your number. If your phone settings are set to
automatically withhold the number then in the UK you would need to prefix the
dial up number with 1470, e.g. 1470 0845 0798313

Good luck!
--
Regards,
Mick