Am Samstag 02 Juni 2007 20:03 schrieb Jeff Horelick:
> Florian,
>
> That's not that big of a difference...Also, Gentoo/Linux does not have
> powersaving for every device like Windows XP...it's writing to the hard
> drive more often and it doesn't spin as much down when it's not in use to
> help performance. Also, if i was you, i'd be worried about your system
> using that LITTLE energy especially since you have a pretty hefty CPU,
> video card, motherboard, 2 hardrives and al the rest of your components.
>
> On 6/2/07, Florian Philipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi guys!
> >
> > I've just tested the energy consumption of my PC. Aparently Gentoo
> > consumes a
> > quiet a bit more than Windows XP: 213 W compared to 188 W
> >
> > PowerNow is activated and works on both cores (tested). The same hardware
> > is
> > plugged in and works. I'll attach the output of lspci, lsmod and cpuinfo
> > as
> > well as my world-file just in case it's related to some software.
> >
> > Is there anything I've forgotten? Where does my energy go?
> >
> > A short overview of my hardware:
> >
> > AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+ EE
> > Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe (WLAN should be deactivated)
> > 2048 MB DDR2 Corsair
> > SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS
> > ATI Radeon 1950 Pro (fglrx)
> > 2 SATA2 HDDs
> > 1 SATA1 DVD-RAM
> > Floppy
> > USB mouse, keyboard and printer
> > TFT screen (connected via DVI)

Well, I've forgotten to mention that I didn't substract all peripheral
devices. My new calculations (idle, nothing but the big black box under my
desk): Linux 137W, Win 114W (20% or 18EUR / 20$ p.a.).

It seems I can't disable my onboard WLAN completely and while Win deactivates
it because I don't provide drivers, Linux gives it some power although no
software is accessing it.

By the way: Maximum output while testing with 3DMark 2006: 219W. I wonder why
I had to buy a 400W power supply...