Hi Steve,

Personally I really like Numpy/Scipy:
http://www.scipy.org/
with Matplotlib for 2D graphs. They have all ebuilds for Gentoo but you
need to edit your /etc/portage/package.keywords to emerge.

I understand your feeling, if you do not really know what you
need, the batteries included of Python are for you. Moreover Python has
R bindings so it's a very flexible solution.

Best regards,

Dede