On Monday 18 June 2007, Neil Bothwick wrote:

> I'm not sure USE flags for the meta packages are a good idea, they
> could add a lot of confusion. The meta packages are supposed to
> install everything, if you don't want that, don't use them.

I think what Alexander is on about is USE flags only for features that
require other sub-systems outside KDE to be installed as well. Like ppp
for example, or printers and scanners for another. Obviously a policy
run by a human is what it will take otherwise it gets out of hand very
very quickly.

'emerge *-meta' is fine if one wants everything, or 'emerge kopete kmail
konqueror' if you just want a few bits like me, but there's this large
no-man's land in the middle where it is just unweildy. No fault of
Gentoo, it's all KDEs fault for having 300+ distinct apps/code
bodies :-)

alan

--
Optimists say the glass is half full,