On Friday 22 June 2007 03:19, Allan Gottlieb wrote:

> Thanks; you are right.  I eventually found it too.  I now see where I
> got into trouble.  I didn't set the snmp use flag and hence hplip
> didn't bring in net-analyzer/net-snmp.
>
> Is this a bug?  That is, should hplip unconditionally depend on
> net-snmp?  hplip includes hp-check, which complained that I needed
> libnetsnmp-devel.

I do not think that this is a bug.  If you need information from networked
printers, e.g. amount of ink left in the cartridge, or what not, then you
enable the snmp flag and all 4.9M of net-analyzer/net-snmp and 5.9M of its
dependencies will be downloaded and installed.

Now, hplip-check is somewhat drastic in its remarks:
Checking for dependency libnetsnmp-devel - SNMP networking library development
files...
error: Not found!
error: This is a REQUIRED dependency. Please make sure that this dependency is
installed before installing or running HPLIP.

Does this mean that ALL flags must be enabled for hplip to function properly?
Hmm, not sure on this one.

> I still have not been able to install my network-attached hp officejet
> 7310 using hp-setup (it install fine via cups).  The trouble is that
> scanning doesn't work and various network posts suggest that
> installing via hp-setup is needed for most of the hp tool and for full
> functionality of the device.

Sure, but since your device is networked and you want the full functionality
this will definitely require the snmp flag AND the scanner flag.

Hope this helps.
--
Regards,
Mick