On Tuesday 03 July 2007 19:14, Grant wrote:
> Hey Mark,
>
> Thanks for the insight.  I hope it never happens, but if the day comes
> when Gentoo suffers a lack of contributors to such an extent that I
> have to find a new distro, where will I go?  Is Debian the only other
> meta-distro out there?  It's not exactly thriving is it?  Is the
> meta-distro concept perhaps flawed?  The thought of installing the
> latest Ubuntu release, wading through a bunch of software I'll never
> use, and waiting for the next big release before anything is updated
> makes me wanna throw up.
>
> - Grant

I hope I'm not too of-topic. I've never been able to bring friends to try out
Gentoo. Tell them they'll be working for days to get a cli distro working...
if they get there, setting up X is sure to be the end of the experiment.

What I mean is: Gentoo is for experimented users, and those who'd like to
become experimented. I consider myself not to be a noob anymore, after 8
years of using Linux, but my last gentoo install still waits to get finished.
I tried to get sound, and that crashed the nvidia module, and now I don't
have time to cure that.

Now, on the next partition, I have installed Sabayon. It's bloated OK, it's
not compiled for my machine OK, but I had it up and running in an hour. I
still have to test the idea of installing Sabayon, modifying make.conf and
emerging world to see what happens.

I think the future of Gentoo could be that: an "easy install" for the mass,
and he opportunity for the geeks to tweak that install or directly go for the
total customisation.

I'm surprised I haven't heard more about Sabayon on this list, just as if
the "real" Gentoo users feel it's a treason.

Thierry