Allan Gottlieb wrote:
> At Mon, 13 Aug 2007 21:15:20 -0400 Dan Cowsill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> On 8/13/07, Dan Cowsill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> Wow.  Well, contrary to my expectations, my system (after emerge
>> -uDNav world) exhibits every one of the problems that you had.  At
>> least you can take solace in the fact that you're not alone.
>>

> I really need some gnome apps (especially gnucash for my checking acct
> and evolution for my schedule).  I have plenty of data backups but no
> backup machine.  A reinstall is possible, but of course painful.  I
> could start
>
>    emerge -e world
>
> I would just like some agreement that this is not likely to make
> things worse.  Currently with emacs and firefox, I can read/send mail,
> and prepare and view my (html) class notes.  So I do have something to
> lose.
>
> Hopefully someone will give us some help; this group is very good for
> that.
>
> allan

My experience was similar to yours.  I found that I had to turn off the
option that saves your session when you log out, and then delete the
file ~/.gnome2/session.  After this, my new session would open up OK and
the window manager would start working.  I have no idea what is causing
the problem, but it sure doesn't like something that is being written to
the session file.

Greg