Am Samstag 18 August 2007 23:57:02 schrieb b.n.:
> Walter Dnes ha scritto:
> >   This is getting frustrating.  All my searching turns up stuff that
> > involves responding to some "event" that is triggered by closing the lid
> > on a laptop.  That is obviously not going to happen on a desktop PC.
> > I've got a few reasons for wanting the desktop to suspend, or at least
> > sleep...
> >
> >   1) Save wear and tear on the drive for the major part of the day when
> > I'm not using the machine
> >
> >   2) Ontario (especially Toronto) runs close to the limit of electrical
> > capacity during hot summer days and the authorities want us to conserve
> >
> >   3) Did I mention that I've just moved to a newer condo, where every
> > suite is on their own electrical meter<g> ?
> >
> >   Normal rebooting is a pain, because I usually run with 3 or 4 text
> > consoles logged in for different functions, as well as an X session.  So
> > what do I have to do to get a *DESKTOP* PC to suspend to disk (preferred)
> > or to ram (second choice)?
>
> Really interesting issue. If you are successful and can come up with an
> HOWTO, drop a mail here :)
>
> By the way, why suspend-to-ram is second choice? Shouldn't it be much
> faster? I don't know that much about suspend issues (heck, I even don't
> have a laptop), so I'd like to know.
>
> m.

My experience (partly on Windows):

Whether or not suspend-to-ram is significantly faster depends on how good it
is implemented by the BIOS.
On my desktops, it's not. You have to go through the whole POST and onboard
controller initialization (a real pain if they come with an own BIOS).
Therefore you can only skip Grub and reading the image by choosing STR.

On my laptop, STR is much faster. It doesn't take more than a few seconds.

Suspend-to-disk can easily be tweaked to be quiet fast:
1. Configure grub for a short timeout and/or an appropriate default setting.
2. activate suspend2's lzo compression (refer to their documentation or the
gentoo-wiki for details) to reduce the amount of data written and read from
disk

Additionally, suspend-to-disk has got the advantage that the image is
preserved as long as its location (swap or file) is not touched. That means,
you can use it for dual boot and then resume where you stopped.