Hello Philip Webb,

> > OTOH, I do have a couple of words of caution about the Motherboard.
> > The new Intel chipsets do not provide an IDE controller
> > so motherboard manufacturers have to go get a 3rd party IDE/PATA
> > controller if they want that support on their Intel motherboards.
>
> My new HDD wb SATA : does that need an IDE controller ?
> There wb a DVD/CD-RW drive too : perhaps that might need one ?
> It's not an issue I've encountered before.
>
> > Most of the manufacturers seem to have gone with JMicron's controller,
> > but my experience with it so far has been  rather frustrating.
> > Supposedly its drivers have been in the mainline kernel since 2.6.18
> > but it's been pretty flaky for me when I had to deal with it

I have an Asus P5B-E with the JMicron controller. I used in only for a
couple of DVD-RW drives and have had no problems at all. My hard drives
are all SATA and while there is a SATA port on the JMicron controller, I
haven't used it as there are six other SATA ports on this board, on the
Intel controller.

--
Neil Bothwick

Don't hate yourself in the morning, sleep until noon.