Am Montag 27 August 2007 07:52:35 schrieb Michael Gisbers:
> Am Sonntag 26 August 2007 schrieb Florian Philipp:

> > > What about setting PIN and setting it by using 'chat' just before
> > > starting pppd?
> > >
> > > (Don't try to use a pppd - chatscript. If your pin was already entered
> > > it fails with an error.)
> > >
> > > Some time ago I created a script to set PIN just after inserting my old
> > > umts - card. I'll have a look if I can find it in the archives.
> >
> > Are these PINs even considered save?
>
> This PIN is your SIM-PIN equal to that one you use for your mobile phone.
> Without PIN everyone can take your SIM-card, put it into his/her phone and
> use it. It may even be possible that one can use it to make phone calls.
>
> After you enter 3 false PINs your card gets locked and you have to unlock
> it by a super-PIN.
>
> So, if you decide to use your card without PIN and loose it. The finder
> will be overjoyed to get a PIN-less SIM and use it on your cost.

I thought more about reading the PIN or its hash with a modified card reader
but since I could not find any information about that, it might not be
possible.

In fact I'm not concerned about the actual use by some thiefs. It's a flat
rate, phone calls should be impossible and SMS should still be protected by a
second PIN. Furthermore I can lock the SIM as soon as I realize its theft.

However, now that I think about it I'm worried that they could use the SIM for
illegal activities and since I can be hold responsible if my unprotected WLAN
is used for spamming, frauds, etc. it might be necessary to protect my SIM as
well.