On 8/30/07, Arnau Bria <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I used genkernel for compiling kernel in my home server.
> Yesterday I wanted to compile a new kernel, but this time by hand, so I
> did:
> 1.-) moved config.gz to .config in new /usr/src/linux link
> 2.-) make oldconfig
> 3.-) make all && make modules_install
> 4.-) mkinitrd initrm.2.6.21 2.6.21-gentoo-r4
> 5.-) Edited menu.lst (just copied genkernel entry and modified to my
> new bzimage and initram files)
>
> but my new kernel did not start, and gave me a kernel panic...
>
> So I wonder what differences could be between my compilation and
> genkernel one...

You could diff the .config with the config that genkernel came up
with.  I would suggest that it would behoove you to start from a
completely fresh kernel config, with the output of things like lspci
and lsmod as a guide.  I've never used genkernel, so I don't know if a
genkernel kernel can live next to a regular one.

I'd also venture the suggestion that you don't usually need an initrd
for a manual kernel (unless, of course, you do ;) ), genkernel uses
one to do some hardware detection and such (someone correct me if I'm
wrong here), so a manual kernel can just boot straight up.

--
Ryan W Sims