On 01:09 Fri 31 Aug, Arnau Bria wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 14:52:54 -0400
> Ryan Sims wrote:

> Genekrnel used one, so I assume my kernel generated using genkernel's
> config needs initrd too.

There are two reasons for using an initrd IIRC:

- you need a userland utility during boot time
- you need to load modules during boot time

'during boot time' refers to the few seconds the kernel needs to boot
up. That's done when it says 'Init version foo loading'.
I did never need to use an initrd, but I was forced to do so lately
because of uvesafb - if you didn't patch your kernel you probably don't
need an initrd.

So I suggest you edit your .config using make menuconfig and compile
stuff like fs-drivers and hdd controllers into the kernel since that
stuff usually tends not to change that often and go without an initrd
since it only adds lag to the boot procedure for nothing.

Regards,
        Aleks