On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 23:51:44 +0200
Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> On Donnerstag, 30. August 2007, Arnau Bria wrote:
Hi,

> > 2.-) make oldconfig
> > 3.-) make all && make modules_install
>
> make all modules_install install
from make help:

[...]
Other generic targets:
  all             - Build all targets marked with [*]
* vmlinux         - Build the bare kernel
* modules         - Build all modules
[...]

Execute "make" or "make all" to build all targets marked with [*]

so make all && make modules install should be enough.

> > 4.-) mkinitrd initrm.2.6.21 2.6.21-gentoo-r4
>
> why not compile everything needed for boot into the kernel? you could
> skip this step?.

Cause I tried so, but my kernels did not work... don't really know why,
so I'm trying to look for the reason, so I wanted to start step by
step, first compiling one using genkernel's ocnfig, and then, start
removing options and including things to kernel.

> > 5.-) Edited menu.lst (just copied genkernel entry and modified to my
> > new bzimage and initram files)
>
> menu.lst with vmlinuz and vmlinuz.old is all what you need, when you
> use make install and don't use an initrd.

Yep, I wanted to say that I used options needed by genkernel's config:

kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.21-gentoo-r4  root=/dev/ram0 /
init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hde3  vga=0x318 /
video=vesafb:mtrr:3 udev

> > but my new kernel did not start, and gave me a kernel panic...
>
> what type of panic? root fs not found?
Mmmmm... don't remember but I could look for it.
But, my original question is trying to look for the reason why kernel
compiled by hang using genkernel's  config file does not work at first
time.
I used genkernel for new kernel and worked fine. and config used is
same in both case:

1.-) genkernel's:
zcat /proc/config.gz > /usr/share/genkernel/x86/kernel-config-2.6

2.-) by hand
gunzip /proc/config.gz && mv to .config

> > So I wonder what differences could be between my compilation and
> > genkernel one...
>
> I don't know - but I know that genkernel's config sucks.
I don't agree. I has lots of unused options that many people don't use,
right, but I can ensure that this "genric" kernel's runs in many diff hw
configs, so I does what it's supposed to.

Cheers,
Arnau