On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 04:14:29 +0200
Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> On Freitag, 31. August 2007, Arnau Bria wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 23:51:44 +0200

[...]

> > from make help:
> >
> > [...]
> > Other generic targets:
> >   all             - Build all targets marked with [*]
> > * vmlinux         - Build the bare kernel
> > * modules         - Build all modules
> > [...]
>

> > Execute "make" or "make all" to build all targets marked with [*]
>

> > so make all && make modules install should be enough.
>
> read again. it is modules_install not modules. modules_install to
> install the modules, install to copy the kernel, System.map and
> config to /boot and create the symlinks.

Sorry, late at night and I read modules modules_install.

[...]
> > Cause I tried so, but my kernels did not work... don't really know
> > why, so I'm trying to look for the reason, so I wanted to start
> > step by step, first compiling one using genkernel's ocnfig, and
> > then, start removing options and including things to kernel.
>
> well, that obviously has not worked. Google for Greg Kroah Hartmann,
> go to his site, download his kernel guide. It is a book about
> building kernels - it should help you a lot.

I've compiled my kernels for a long time. I can start with a fresh
config and look for my config, but at this time, I prefer doing things
in the other order. Is that a problem for my question? is it impossible?

My original question was: what a the differences between my manual
compilation and genkernel's one?

Really, I like to read people's opinion about genkernel, but no one has
tried to answer my question yet.

[...]

> > I don't agree. I has lots of unused options that many people don't
> > use, right, but I can ensure that this "genric" kernel's runs in
> > many diff hw configs, so I does what it's supposed to.
>
> I have seen horrible, horrible kernels created by it.
Did they work?
Do you think all people need best config? I don't care much about that,
but, ais, I compile my own kernels for my machines.

> I have a very nice working config
Me too in my laptop too, i.e.

> - genkernel couldn't do it any
> better. And as a bonus - I don't need an initrd or related cr*p (yes,
> I don't like them).

So, you have the option of not using it, but how many working configs
for many people has generated genkernel?

Cheers,
Arnau