On 9/1/07, Tim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thank you for the response, Tim:
>
> This makes little sense without knowing what partition you removed and
> what you mean by "removing" it - did you take it out of /etc/fstab? Did
> you actually repartition your disk? What partition was it, what kind was
> it (primary, logical, extended) and what was on it? Hopefully we can be
> of more assistance with this info.

I removed the partition from /dev/fstab.  It is a partition on /dev/sda1, a
SATA drive, with about 20% fragmentation.  I moved everything off the drive,
and will reformat, making sure it is in ext3 or other journaling format.
Something was triggering a check every boot.  (message saying the partition
was not properly mounted---I don't have access to the exact message now).

I wonder whether this kind of hardware issue might trigger the Machine Check
Exception.

Thank you,

Alan Davis

-Tim