Arnau Bria schrieb:
> 4.-) mkinitrd initrm.2.6.21 2.6.21-gentoo-r4
> 5.-) Edited menu.lst (just copied genkernel entry and modified to my
> new bzimage and initram files)
>
> but my new kernel did not start, and gave me a kernel panic...
>
> So I wonder what differences could be between my compilation and
> genkernel one...

As far as I understand genkernel, the only real difference is the making
of the initrd. Genkernel pulls in some modules defined by it's default
configuration. So if your system needs these modules to boot, and your
"manual" build of the initrd does not include these modules, your kernel
will not boot.

Did you ever try to find out, which modules your system needs? If you
build these drivers into your kernel and not as modules, everything
should work.

Another mistake often made are spelling and copy & paste errors. For
example you are writing at under point 4 "initrm.2.6.21". Did you mean
"initrd.2.6.21"?

Regards,
Marc