Colleen Beamer wrote:
> So what I thought was some residual problem with
> screwing up and hitting the 'Media Direct' button wasn't really
> the problem after all.

It might still be, depending on how you've reinstalled.  If you
blanked the first few gigabytes of the disk with 'dd if=/dev/zero
of=/dev/sda' and then repartitioned the drive, there shouldn't be
anything left of what that evil button did.  But if you kept the
partition table as it was and just recreated the file systems,
there might still be some marker in the partition header
of /dev/sda3 that doesn't look right to the kernel.  But it is
quite unlikely.

Anyway, the solution could have come from yourself, if you had
told the list what it was that you missed in the kernel config:
http://readlist.com/lists/gentoo.org/gentoo-user/18/90989.html

:)

Benno