Dan Farrell wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 16:54:01 -0400
> "Colleen Beamer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I used fdisk - deleted all the partitions, created the new partition
>> table and created file systems on them.  I can read data from the
>> drive - any text file that I can "cat" displays fine.  I just can't
>> get the drive recognized when I boot to the system.
>
> this means one of three things
> 1- no driver for your IDE interface
>       which could also be a module that you need from initrd but
>       isn't there; additionally, perhaps a hardware management process
>       that the cd uses isn't available and the driver is never loaded

My hard drive is a *SATA* and I have build all SATA stuff into the
kernel.  If you haven't read previous messages in this thread, I had a
perfectly good working gentoo installation on my laptop until a couple
of days ago, when I got upset with my son, went to boot my computer and
hit the "Media Direct" button instead of the power button.  So if there
is no driver available for my system, how come I had a working
installation before?

> 2- no support for the Filesystem in question in your kernel

I use ext2 for boot and ext3 for root.  They are both build into the kernel.

> 3- incorrect specification of root filesystem or partition in fstab or
>       grub.conf.  This includes specifying an incorrect device
>       (sda1 from new PATA experimental drivers, when it's hda1 on
>       your system, for example)

As previously stated, I had a working installation before and
real_root=/dev/sda3 worked just fine.

> I don't think there's anything else that could cause the problem.  Can
> we see fstab and grub.conf to make sure please?

I can send both, but I don't know why that should be necessary.  They
aren't any different from when I had a good install of gentoo.

Regards,

Colleen

--

Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org