On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 09:26:33PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> A total non-issue in my experience. I've never had an LVM problem yet,
> but maybe I'm just lucky. The one thing you do need to be aware of it
> that you require LVM support at boot time or shortly thereafter. So
> either compile it into the kernel, or make sure it's in the initrd.

I had a problem once, scared me to pieces until I got past it.  An
emerge had removed a library which was still used by the lvm command.
"ldd lvm" showed "not found".  Boot didn't like that.  I got lucky; a
rescue disk allowed me to create a bogus symlink to the old library so
that boot could proceed, at which point I remerged the broken command
and no longer needed the bogus symlink.

I have since written a perl program which looks for such broken libs.
I have no idea why gentoo's revdep-rebuild didn't find it.

I still use LVM and even gentoo, but I am also increasingly wary of
gentoo updates.

     Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E  6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933