I just setup a gentoo in my dell1400 laptop,and until now,the sound
problem is not solved yet.

Here is the problem:
$ aplay 01.mp3
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:864:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
aplay: main:545: audio open error: No such file or directory

And here is my hardware:
# lspci | grep Audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation HD Audio Controller (rev 02)

 I compiled the alsa driver as the modules:
<M> Intel HD Audio

And I can start my alsasound:
# /etc/init.d/alsasound start
 * Restoring Mixer Levels ...                                             [ ok ]

I can alsaconf,but not alsamixer:
$ alsamixer
No mixer elems found

I also tried to emerge alsa-driver and didn't use the driver in the
kernel,but the result was all the same.

Any advice?
Thanks in advanced!

--