I wrote:

> Yes. Well, I usually have forwarding enabled automatically
> in /etc/ssh/ssh_config, but I always try with -X or -Y anyway.
>
> > What is the actual error from the client?
>
> $DISPLAY is not set.
>
> But I notice a change since yesterday: I now get this warning:
> Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11
> forwarding.
>
> Don't know what causes this, I emerged a couple of things due to world
> update and (still!) some problems with the expat update, but nothing
> which I would think has to do with ssh. Anyway, DISPLAY still does not
> get set.

I sort of found the solution to my problem, but still do not fully
understand what happened. First I thought I had to add X to the server's
use flags. Looked like I then had DISPLAY set, but still got the warning
about missing xauth data. When trying to start an X application, I got
this:

  Xlib: connection to "localhost:10.0" refused by server
  Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
  xterm Xt error: Can't open display: localhost:10.0

Then I looked at the configs again, and in the man page for ssh_config I
finally found this:
     XAuthLocation
             Specifies the full pathname of the xauth(1) program.  The
             default is /usr/openwin/bin/xauth.

/usr/openwin? I added "XAuthLocation /usr/bin/xauth" to the
client's /etc/ssh/ssh_config, and now all was fine. Even without the X use
flag.

Looking at a gentoo box I did not update for a while, I see the man page
there tells the default location is /usr/bin/xauth. Okay, now I know this
change is responsible. But why aren't forum and this list flooded with
people experiencing the same problem as me?

        Alex