Mick writes:

> On Sunday 14 October 2007, Alex Schuster wrote:
> > Then I looked at the configs again, and in the man page for ssh_config
> > I finally found this:
> >      XAuthLocation
> >              Specifies the full pathname of the xauth(1) program.  The
> >              default is /usr/openwin/bin/xauth.
> >
> > /usr/openwin? I added "XAuthLocation /usr/bin/xauth" to the
> > client's /etc/ssh/ssh_config, and now all was fine. Even without the X
> > use flag.
> >
> > Looking at a gentoo box I did not update for a while, I see the man
> > page there tells the default location is /usr/bin/xauth. Okay, now I
> > know this change is responsible. But why aren't forum and this list
> > flooded with people experiencing the same problem as me?
>
> Perhaps because most use vanilla ssh to manage servers?  I have every now
> and then used an ssh tunnel to forward VNC connections, but that is
> exceptional as far as my usage of ssh goes.

Well, my setup looks pretty vanilla to me, I did not talk about more
sophisticated tunneling stuff. I just have a server and a client, and need
to put the XAuthLocation line into the client's config when I want X
forwarding.

I know found out what happened. The old boxes with working forwarding have
a /usr/openwin symlink pointing to /usr/X11R6. This makes xauth being
found. It belongs to x11-libs/xview, but the last xview update removed the
symlink, now X forwarding fails.

Still no idea why you all do NOT have the problem.

        Alex